Knitting Voodoo

elizabeth3_small2So last Sunday I decided to cast on another project. Yes, I know I have 3 others on the go (and we won’t talk about the fifth that I started on Monday, OK so maybe we will but not just at this second)

The pattern I decided on, after much much searching, was Elizabeth by Georgie Hallam. I’ve done one of Georgie’s patterns before, a gorgeous cross over dress so I know that the patterns are well written. I’m using a cotton from Morris and Sons in Melbourne which is a variegated dusky rose and deep pink and is sooo soft it reminds me of bamboo.

Anyway there I was happily knitting away and getting annoyed at the purl rows as I generally do so I decided to finally teach myself backwards knitting and you know what, it’s not hard! I’m currently reasonably slow with it but I know I’ll speed up with practice.

So feeling rather proud of myself I continue knitting. I’m nearly at the end of this section and decide to count my stitches to double check how many rows I’ve got left. There’s 39 in this part – there’s supposed to be 40.

What the??? Some searching and I found the culprit. A missing kfb (knit front and back) three rows down. If you look at this picture you’ll notice the horizontal bars on the left side and you can see that there’s a bar missing on the right just under the dark pink row.

6d12bb34d37911e2974122000a9e2969_7

Feck! A missing yarn over is easy enough to fix, but a missing kfb??? I searched around on the oracle known as YouTube and didn’t find much other than one 8 minute video entitled how to fix a kfb and showing an image of a raglan (exactly what I’m doing but 8 minutes…) so I headed over to the even better oracle that is Twitter and cried there.

I was soon met with numerous suggestions including tink back or unknit – not going to happen, a lot of rows there and I hate ripping back and picking up if I can avoid it. Slot in an unobtrusive m1 – a good suggestion but I reckon it *should* be properly fixable. Drop down and pick up the stitches – easy enough with straight stockinette or garter, but to pick up and redo the kfb?

So with my heart in my throat I did this:

a0158cc8d37911e28c9e22000a9f308e_7

I dropped those stitches right off. I then started playing the YouTube video that promised to fix things. Mistake! The video which seemed to have the answer ended up giving me the option of tinking back or adding in m1s. Gahhh! There I was with dropped stitches, missing kfbs (2 of them now) and a baby due to wake up in the next 15mins.

I pulled out the Google and did an image search and finally found what I was looking for over at TECHknitting – a diagram of what is going on with a kfb. As you can see this diagram shows exactly what each part of each strand is doing. Click on it to see the full page on TECHknitting, complete with descriptions and other useful stuff.

I assumed the concentration position of tongue sticking out and held firmly by teeth, grabbed a crochet hook and started prodding. After only 10 minutes this is what I had:

ced63da0d37911e29e6f22000a9e2992_7

Success! A smidge tight but that should relax out as I go and will disappear with blocking. I’m sooo proud of myself :) True and proper knitting voodoo there!

Close

Loading ...

Sorry :(

Can't connect ... Please try again later.

%d bloggers like this: