A cheats recipe for Lamingtons means that you can have these delicious Australian classic treats every day.
1 Victoria sponge cake (in two halves)
1/3 cup strawberry jam
4 cups desiccated or shredded coconut
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the coconut into a wide bowl.
- Cut each half of the sponge cake in half horizontally and spread 2 of the halves with the jam. Top with the remaining halves, then cut each jam-layered sponge into 8 filled portions.
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add vanilla and gradually add enough warm water to form a very runny icing. You want something closer to a glaze than an icing.
- Dip each cake portion in the icing to coat completely (be warned, this is a messy job. I used chopsticks to make it much cleaner!).
- Roll each piece of cake in the coconut, then place on a wire rack for 15 minutes to dry before packing in plastic containers.
- Look out for pre-packaged Victoria sponge cakes. In the UK you can find Mr Kiplings which is what I’ve used here. I cut each slice in half to make two bite-sized lamingtons.